Welcome to Living Flyfishing

On this blog I will write about my fishing adventures, my development as a fisherman, fly tying and about the education at the Sportfishing Academy.
"Learning something and becoming better at it as time passes, isn't that a joy? When then people from all around the world, all sharing this interest, get together and become friends, isn't that also a joy?" - Confucius

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Seatrout madness

Finally! That is probably the word which suits my feeling the best and if I was to sum up the trip our class made to the Swedish west coast from thursday to yesterday.

At 0800h we headed off to Grebbestad near the Norwegian border with our fly boxes loaded with shrimp and fish imitations that the trout were supposed to munch on. Arriving at the hostel, we thought that it was almost too good to be true. Awesome fishing weather, no wind (at the west coast!), neither too sunny nor too cloudy. And when we got to the water we couldn't believe our eyes: Surfacing fish everywhere! At times it was hard deciding which fish we were supposed to cast to because there were so many. Still, it is almost a miracle that I didn't get any fish the first day despite the fact that we fished until 2100h and that everybody else seemed to be catching trout. At the end of that day I was completely devastated. What was I doing wrong? You probably know the feeling of getting to a point where you really start doubting your fishing skills.

The second day started with me running to the spot where the others had had some incredible fishing the previous day. There was no way I was going to leave without getting my hands on one of those beautiful and strong seatrout, by the way also the first fish for me this year. After a couple of ours I finally found a fly that seemed to attract the interest of the still surfacing fish. A tiny orange/brown finally hooked a fine 35cm trout. After having released the fish it felt as if an enormous weight was lifted off my shoulders. Maybe I wasn't cursed afterall? Amazing and seen from a non-fisherman's perspective possibly a little ridiculous what kind of emotions a small scale carrier can cause.

The result of the trip was quite unbelievable. Cornelis, our teacher, claimed that he had never experienced such extremely good fishing in those past 12 years he has fished that area. I can't say how many trouts were caught but it was a lot. 19 out of 21 classmates caught a least one trout and for seven it was the first fish ever on the fly rod and the size of the trout was also very respectable. Several were over 50cm and one was around 70cm and 4kg, a trophy fish in everybody's point of view. Even die-hard jerkbait fishermen were thrilled by fighting seatrouts on a fly rod.

Hard to believe that this is the west coast

Anton fighting a seatrout
Emilie's first fish on the fly and not a bad one either - the expressions speaks for itself
I don't remember a fish that made me any happier

No comments:

Post a Comment